Learn more about Victoria by following the links below:
Capuchin Franciscan Friars Sculpture
900 Cathedral Ave.
About this Exploration:
To meet the spiritual needs of the German speaking immigrants from Russia who arrived in this area in the late 1870s, the Catholic Diocese established the Capuchins in Ellis County to serve as priests for the new communities. The St. Fidelis Friary, located in what then was still named the town of Herzog (later the two towns became one and named Victoria) was established by Father Mathew Hau, O.F.M. Cap and Father Anastasius Mueller O.F.M. Cap.
For several years this location was the central station from which friars cared for a seven county area. The statue on display in front of St. Fidelis Church was sculpted by Hays artist Pete Felten, and was dedicated on July 28, 1976. It is a lifelike statue that stands 6’ tall, is made of Silverdale limestone and has a bronze plaque that pays tribute to the followers of Saint Francis of Assisi.
City Clerk - Mary Pfeifer
1005 4th St.
Victoria, KS 67671