Learn more about Munjor by following the links below:
The Munjor Store
887 280th Ave.
About this Exploration:
This somewhat ordinary looking building has an interesting history and was a special place to the residents of Munjor because for years it was known as the Munjor Store - the place to buy groceries in Munjor. It was built around 1929 by Alex Schumacher and Alex Leiker and they referred to it as Grandpa Leiker’s Store. Children and grandchildren worked at the store and for years this was the place to buy fresh cream, meat, milk and eggs, candy, cereal, sugar, salt and other essential grocery items. The store also served as the post office for many years. In 1952, Martin Leiker, who was the son of Alex Leiker, took over the store. Martin operated the store for approximately 17 years and after his death Vernie Pfannenstiel, took over the store in February of 1970. Vernie and his wife managed the store through the mid 1980s before it closed.
In March of 1999, Steve Pfannenstiel, the great-grandson of Alex Leiker, purchased the store to keep it in the family. Steve and his wife Jeanette, in addition to many friends and relatives who helped out, renovated the building and decided to use it as a family gathering place. By Thanksgiving of 2000, the upstairs was ready for the families to celebrate the holiday. Additional outside work was completed and in 2003 the basement was completely gutted and remodeled.
The building is used
for many holiday and social gatherings of the Pfannenstiel and Wagner families.
Because it is used for many family and community get-togethers, they furnished
the facility with tables, chairs, recessed lighting and a kitchen with stoves,
sinks, refrigerators and freezers. Arrangements can be made to rent the
facility for reunions or other special events associated with families and
friends from the community of Munjor.
Munjor, KS 67601
Munjor Improvement District
P.O. Box 98 - 893 Main
Munjor, KS 67601